Pilot Schools have a school-based governance structure with increased decision-making power over budget, principal selection and evaluation, and program policies, while complying with legal requirements.
The Governing School Council (GSC):
- sets and maintains the school vision;
- selects, supervises, and evaluates their principal with final approval by the Local District Superintendent;
- approves the annual budget;
- approves the annual Election-to-Work Agreement (EWA) for UTLA staff; and
- establishes bylaws and school policies, consistent with applicable laws and regulations, that the school community feels will help students to be successful.
The GSC has 12 members:
- 1 Principal
- 4 Teachers
- 1 Classified staff member
- 3 Students
- 3 Parents
The GSC meets monthly, on the second Tuesday of every month at 4:45pm via Zoom, unless otherwise indicated. During the pandemic, on-campus meetings are being replaced with online Zoom meetings after school hours
ESSENTIAL FEATURES OF A PILOT SCHOOL